What is brain metastases?
This malignant tumor in the brain that have spread there from some other organ. Most often it metastasizes to the brain lung, breast, kidney, colon, and skin (melanoma).
Metastases in the brain are different from tumors that develop there from the beginning.
How does brain metastases?
May include the following symptoms:
- Headache. The pain is worse when bending, coughing or sneezing. In some people, the pain is accompanied by nausea and vomiting.
- Of movements in the arm or leg on one side of the body.
- Problems with memory and mental activity.
- Changes in mood and behavior.
- Convulsions. At the time of seizure, patients may lose consciousness or strange move.
Any of these symptoms may be at some other not too terrible disease. But if you have already found a malignant tumor, and suddenly there were these symptoms, you should be tested for brain metastases.
Are there any ways to specify the diagnosis?
Yes. Most often make all the familiar MRI. Sometimes you have to do a brain biopsy, when taking a microscopic piece of brain tissue to examine under a microscope.
How to treat brain metastases?
Treatment depends on many factors:
- The symptoms;
- From the spread of the primary tumor;
- Of the total level of health;
- From the forecast. That is how much of a chance to survive this disease.
Treatment options include one or more of the following options:
- Surgical removal of the tumor;
- Radiation therapy. Radiation kills cancer cells. Sometimes they use total irradiation brain, and sometimes the tumor is irradiated precisely.
Besides the primary treatment of such patients administered agents, which reduce the symptoms associated with brain metastases:
- Glucocorticoids. This medication, which reduce swelling of the brain.
- Medication for stroke prevention.
What happens if treatment does not help?
It depends on the situation. Sometimes added to chemotherapy. Sometimes moving only symptomatic treatment is that the patient feel better.
Is it possible to drive a car during the treatment of brain metastases?
It depends on the symptoms and medications. If you have seizures, you will have some time to wait, to allow the doctor to get behind the wheel.
If you liked this article, then put the Huskies and subscribe to my channel. Read my articles on related topics:
Nausea and vomiting from chemotherapy
What if during chemotherapy, the hair falls out
How to live and what to ask your doctor if you got cancer